Rosemary Lamb Shanks
Cook a classic, yet impressive Easter Dinner with Zee’s Grills Rosemary Lamb Shank recipe. Chef Trevor Gleave provides a delicious recipe where the lamb is cooked for two hours in a savoury sauce, creating a tender shank that just about melts in your mouth. This dish is great to serve with polenta or roasted garlic mashed potatoes, to soak up the flavourful sauce.
6 Lamb shanks
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp Olive oil
3 large Carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
2 Onions, chopped
10 cloves Garlic, minced
1 (750 ml) bottle Red wine
1 (28 oz) can Whole peeled tomatoes with juice
1 (10.5 oz) can Condensed chicken broth
1 (10.5 oz) can Beef broth
5 tsp Chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp Chopped fresh thyme
- Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, cook shanks until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer shanks to a plate; set aside.
- Add carrots, onions, and garlic to the pot and sauté over medium heat until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken broth, beef broth, rosemary, and thyme.
- Return shanks to the pot, pressing down to submerge.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove the lid and simmer to allow flavors to concentrate, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer shanks to a platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Continue boiling the sauce until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over shanks before serving.
- Can be done in a slow cooker with increased time.
- If in a hurry can be done in an instapot or pressure cooker in 30 minutes but sauce will still need to thicken.